Forums » Home & Garden

Granite kitchen countertops

This topic has been closed.
    February 15, 2010 5:00:41 PM PST
    We are getting ready to obtain quotes and I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations?  Thanks!!
    • 702 posts
    February 15, 2010 5:46:24 PM PST
    I am doing the same.  I have gotten different quotes and the cheaper one is from Greg Baker from Bakers Granite, 524-2275.  Very nice guy and his price is very reasonable compared to others.  Good luck, I know how hard it is to pick the right granite.  I don't know if you picked out your granite yet, but I found the best selection and best service at Bedrosian, off Sunrise Blvd.  I've been looking for a long time, so if you have any more questions let me know.
    • 1289 posts
    February 15, 2010 8:04:26 PM PST
    And also, for those of you who have put granite in your kitchen, can you comment on how it's working out for you?  Do you have issues with it staining?  How much does it cost to re-seal it annually?  I love the look of granite....
    February 15, 2010 8:27:24 PM PST
    SEA, we used Mike Medina with Natural Stone Design for our kitchen.  He did ours, my mom, and quite a few of our friends too.  If you'd like to come take a look at ours let me know.  If you want his number, let me know. He's a great guy, very conscientious.  He went with us to pick out the stone and educated us on the quality and what to look for. 
    February 15, 2010 8:39:07 PM PST
    You can buy good granite sealers everywhere-I got mine at Home Depot.  It claims to seal for 10 years or something, but it was suggested I do it more often-like every once a year.  Very easy to take care of and clean.
    • 618 posts
    February 16, 2010 8:35:19 AM PST
    If you don't want to spend a fortune on granite, get the pre-cut granite counter tops which range in price from $200-$400  per 8' section.  Then hire a contractor to cut out your sink hole and install.  There is a large warehouse in South Sacramento   http://www.granite-us.com/  off of Franklin near Florin Ave.

Granite Outlet, Inc. ?
    ADDRESS: 3525 52nd Avenue Sacramento,CA 95823
    TEL:(916)391-1088
    FAX:(916)391-0198
    Graniteoutlet@yahoo.com
    MON-FRI:08:00 AM TO 05:30 PM
            SAT:09:00 AM TO 05:30 PM
            SUN: CLOSE

We bought our kitchen and bathroom counter tops there.  They also know of contractors who can install for you.
    It is worth the trip just to see the various colors & patterns in granite.

There are numerous sealing products you can get for your granite counters, usually wipe on the wipe off.
    • 702 posts
    February 16, 2010 9:52:55 AM PST
    Agree with Zorastor, however, check out the slabs also and compare prices.  We thought the prefabricated stuff would be cheaper too, but because my countertops are not even in width, we were going to have to buy larger pieces of the prefab, and the cost ended up being higher for us than the slabs.  And you do get a lot more options with the slabs, which may not be a good thing when you are trying to choose :)
    • 42 posts
    February 16, 2010 9:58:30 AM PST
    You can call Roger at Peverini Tile, Marble, & Construction at 916-247-5464. He has many references, does great work, and is reasonable in price. He has been in business in Elk Grove since 1990 and he is licensed, bonded, and insured. His website is www.peverinitmc.com
    • 28 posts
    February 20, 2010 2:00:00 PM PST
    Medimer, has a huge selection of granite slabs, one thing I've learned from my husband who is a General Contractor is its not so much the granite or stone as the fabricator. I've seen some of the same natural stones at different jobs and they look entirely different because of the fabrication. Your preference should be the best fabricator.
    • 549 posts
    February 23, 2010 3:55:36 PM PST
    I would check out Floor to Ceiling at Hwy 99 and Grant Line.  They did an absolutely faboulous job remodeling our entire bathroom, including our Madeira Gold granite countertops and tub surround. 
    • 1104 posts
    February 25, 2010 11:23:50 AM PST
    I second Floor to Ceiling. 
    February 26, 2010 8:53:15 AM PST
    What IS the fascination with granite counter tops?  Are they checked for radon?  Do they crack when you drop something on them?
    February 26, 2010 12:50:59 PM PST
    Well, I like the way they look but I stop short of "fascination"!!! 
  • cac
    • 2223 posts
    February 26, 2010 12:53:02 PM PST

Don't know if it checked for radon. I just know that it is easier to clean an maintain than tile (no grout lines). I have never had it crack when something was dropped on it.

SEA if you have not yet purchased your granite I have a number ( I will have to get when I get home from work) of a person who used to have a shop on Grantline (near the new overpass). When business got slow they closed their shop and work from home. We have redone all three of our bathrooms and kitchen in granite. We paid about $250.00 for the bathroom slabs including the porcelian sink and side/backsplash. They will come to your home with samples and turn around time is very quick.