Forums » Health & Exercise

Salty Taste in Mouth

This topic has been closed.
    July 7, 2008 7:01:11 PM PDT
    Ok, I have had this salty taste in my mouth for several days and it is driving me nuts! I brush my teeth regularly and I use Listerene and Crest mouth wash. I am also hydrated and drink water all the time. It's like a salty ocean in my mouth! Has anyone else had this problem?
    • 3112 posts
    July 7, 2008 7:24:26 PM PDT
    I looked at WebMD and it said it could be a reaction to medication. You could check out their symptom checker. 

http://symptoms.webmd.com/

Or better still, ask your doctor or call your advice nurse. Good luck.
    • 84 posts
    July 7, 2008 7:25:15 PM PDT

Found this online:

Taste changes are rarely a sign of a serious underlying problem. However, they are annoying and can impair your enjoyment of food. A persistent salty taste in the mouth can have many possible causes, including:

• Dehydration. This may be due to inadequate fluid intake or excessive fluid loss. Review your diet. Excessive intake of alcohol or caffeine can cause fluid loss, resulting in dehydration, which can make saliva saltier.
    • Side effect of certain medications, such as anti-thyroid medications and chemotherapy drugs.
    • Salivary gland diseases, such as Sjogren's syndrome or bacterial infection of the salivary glands (sialadenitis).
    • Post-nasal drainage, such as with a sinus infection (sinusitis) or allergies.

Rarely, a salty taste in the mouth is due to a nutritional deficiency, endocrine disorder or neurological disorder, such as epilepsy or migraine.

Treatment is directed at the underlying cause, if possible. For example, if a salty taste in the mouth is due to a certain medication, stopping or changing the medication may eliminate the problem. But do this only with your doctor's approval. If the cause of a salty taste is a bacterial infection, the salty taste may go away with treatment of the infection. Occasionally, taste changes resolve spontaneously.

A persistent salty taste in the mouth should be evaluated by a doctor or dentist.

• 3166 posts
    July 7, 2008 7:26:39 PM PDT
    WOW, what a loaded question!  Good luck to you in your responses!  There are a few of you out there that I would like to remind, this is a family site!!!  DocS, SDL...I'm talking to you!!! 

BTW - I haven't the foggiest why that would happen.  Have you Googled it MW?
    • 3166 posts
    July 7, 2008 7:28:11 PM PDT
    Me and my slow typing...cross posted...guess there's not much need to Google it now.
    • 1478 posts
    July 7, 2008 8:29:50 PM PDT
    spit out the sunflowerseeds and see if it goes away..
    • 28 posts
    July 7, 2008 8:43:16 PM PDT
    Are you seriuous???
    • 433 posts
    July 7, 2008 9:08:54 PM PDT
    LMAO llovett, you read my mind!!!
    July 7, 2008 9:15:12 PM PDT
    Never, EVER say to a man you have a salty taste in your mouth.
    July 7, 2008 9:44:01 PM PDT
    Thank you for some of the responses. I really appreciate those who were taking my question seriously and trying to help. I am going to talk with my doctor about this. Please don't make fun. I was looking to EGO for help and for anyone else who has had this problem. It's awful when everything you eat taste like salt. It is medical.
    • 14958 posts
    July 7, 2008 9:47:28 PM PDT
    Do you think it might have anything to do with all the smoke and gunk in the air?  If it has only been recently and nothing has changed with your medications(which is what the sites suggest) look for anything different in your life.  I know the smoke is causing all kinds of stuff in our house... 
    • 433 posts
    July 7, 2008 10:08:06 PM PDT

Sorry for the humor MW ! On a serious note I have found thes postings of others that have simular problems .

(The main cause of a salty taste in your mouth is dehydration. If you drink at lot of tea or coffee or cola you can be prone to this. Also certain types of medication can cause this taste.

However if the salty taste is combined with
    heartburn or pains in your upper right chest then it might be GERD, as in acid reflux. )

(I have only had this for a few days. But the taste of salt in my mouth is so strong that I had to look it up on the net and this is where I ended up.

After
    reading all the posts on this thread, I have noticed a common factor.
    The following key words keep coming up and they are dehydration, coffee, soda and smoking.

I am a heavy coffee drinker. I wake up with a cup and go to bed with a cup. I drink it all day long. I also have been drinking soda. Previously I had been drinking 1 to 2 large bottles of gatorade everyday. But once the
    weather turned cold, I just drank coffee. The salt taste is there all the time. But I noticed that it increases while I am having coffeee and smoking a cigerette

I am beginning to believe that I have been drinking to much coffee and not enough fluids like water and gatorade. I am going to cut back on the coffee and do my best to re-hydrate myself. I hope this works, because this constant salt taste is horrible.

If drinking more water and gatorade helps, I will come back to the thread and pass it on)

to read more here is the link: good luck hope you get better!

http://www.steadyhealth.com/What_is_causing_salty_taste_in_mouth_-t53857-0-asc-20.html