Forums » Community Watch

To many car's parked in front of my house!!!!

This topic has been closed.
    • 44 posts
    September 24, 2007 9:54:37 AM PDT
    I hope I'm not alone with how I feel about neighbors parking to many car's in front of my house. The house across the street from me is a rental and it has three tenants who all have about what seems like ten friends each. The house is a large home with a very large oversized driveway with a car port with a two car garage. Not one car is nice and I'm yet to see any of there friends with a decent looking vehicle. One car has a broken window, one car used to leak oil and the rest look like there on there last leg. To me this isn't even the main issue. The part that drives me crazy is that I constantly have a different piece of junk in front of my house, and on the weekends these car's don't move. I realize that these are public streets but I'm getting very upset and I'm feeling disrespected.

During the day time I like to be out in the yard cleaning up or playing ball with my son. I'm sick and tired of asking people to move their cars. We all pay a lot of money for our homes and like most of us I take pride in the way my home looks. I hate it when I get home and instead of looking at my well groomed lawn or seeing the flowers my wife planted over the weekend, I have to look at some piece of junk that wouldn't even be on some used car lot.

I can't control having abandoned foreclosed homes in my neighborhood (that's bad enough), but can't I be able to do something about this? I love my home and I love all my neighbors with exception to the obvious one's, but this is getting crazy. I keep blaming myself for not living in a neighborhood with an association. Whatever happened to common courtesy and mutual respect with others? Is there anything I could do? I don't think I'm wrong in this case, am I? 
    September 24, 2007 11:31:11 AM PDT

I really feel for you.  You sound like a neighbor anyone would be glad to have.  Yes, sadly, homeowner's associations seem to be necessary these days because it seems that a lot of people don't know what being "neighborly" means.

Could you talk to like minded neighbors as yourself and see if you could form a "beautify our neighborhood" group and have community meetings and ask if people could try and follow the rules for everyone's benefit?

And with a rental, that is a hard one.  These people probably won't be there for long and just don't care about the neighbors.

I wish I had more ways to help.  If you ever want to move, come to Lakeside.  We have a great homeowner's association and neighbors who work hard to keep the community looking nice (or if the neighbor's don't the association will.)

• 994 posts
    September 24, 2007 1:28:35 PM PDT
    this bothered my dad when i was young and now bothers me. if i need to have company they have no place to park because my neighbors took up all the room. i hate it! i hate coming home to see all the pos in front of my house and i'm a renter! i park in my garage! sometimes because of our schedual my husband needs to park on the street and usually there is no room for him either!
    • 994 posts
    September 24, 2007 1:31:16 PM PDT
    my husband has actually "moved" cars from his spot before! is this against the law? there was no damage done to the car......p.s. i don't recommend this!!!!
    • 10138 posts
    September 24, 2007 2:23:55 PM PDT
    It might be worth a shot to contact the owner of the rental.  Maybe there are more ppl residing there than he/she  knows about.    Also explain the nusiance they are creating with all the visitors that routinely come and go and  are stay there over the weekends  and the resulting  additional traffic and congested parking  problems it generates.  Is there anything else amiss there..  loud parties?  Loud music?  PPl coming and going at all times of the day and night ect.   Also call EGPD if it within the City and or the County if it isn't... to see if this  a zoning violation or nusiance violation  in it t is affecting your peace of mind and having the effect of lowering your property value perhaps as well.

b  
    • 1104 posts
    September 24, 2007 6:15:05 PM PDT
    The Franklin area formed an association that is pretty successful in getting owners to be better neighbors.  Where do you live?
    • 1237 posts
    September 24, 2007 8:00:43 PM PDT
    I know how you feel! My neighbor would park her big SUV in front of my house all the time. One day, I went over and asked her nicely to park her car in front of her house and in lieu of mine. She was very nice and has parked her car in her driveway ever since.
    • 376 posts
    September 24, 2007 9:11:46 PM PDT
    When I lived in the city of Arcadia, Ca. they had this beautiful thing called the parking permit.  No overnight parking was allowed on the street unless you had a permit.  Permits were sold for $70.00 a year.  After 2a.m. your car was ticketed.  I would think that Elk Grove would pick up on this form of revenue.  Since we shared a common driveway with our neighbor, it was just something we knew we would incur every year.  That was seven years ago, so I am sure the rates are higher, people still pay instead of doing "musical" parking.  Also, street cleaning days are also an effective way of handling cars that never move.  No parking on certain days of the week.  We have our own driveway now, but my husband still likes to park his truck on the street.  We would probably still buy a permit instead of him switching to the driveway.  There are lots of ways I see that the city could make money...but they don't.  Like cars that park more that 18 inches from the curb, or ones that park on the curb.  These would all get tickets down south.
    • 211 posts
    September 24, 2007 9:27:53 PM PDT
    I am irritated by the same thing!  We live in a court where the parking is alreay limited.   However, our neighbor has a huge driveway.  Unfortunately, he has three cars and a boat so his girlfriends car cant fit.  So, she always parks in front of our house.  Drives me crazy!!  When we have guests, they have to park either in our driveway or down the street if there is no room.
    • 41 posts
    September 24, 2007 11:07:00 PM PDT
    Cross, I live in the Hood Franklin area. I love the idea of parking permits, I think this would be a great way to generate revenue as well. The city has cited cars in my neighborhood for parking on the sidewalk, but I'm all for the permits, what a great way to clean up a street.

Two days ago my wife was standing outside our house when a friend of my neighbors pulled up and parked in front of my house while my wife was standing there. He got out of the car and asked my wife if it was ok, my wife informed him that it drives me mad and asked if he could please move it, he got back in his car and respectfully moved it. Yesterday he parked there again and left it there overnight, tonight I got home around 9:00 and it is parked there again. This time there was not a single car parked in front of there house, now am I wrong or is this a complete disregard for my simple request? How do I keep my cool without laying into these dudes? 
    • 14991 posts
    September 25, 2007 12:01:49 AM PDT
    I feel your pain!  We have the same issue but it is with a homeowner, not a renter, parking directly in front of our home every single night.  He drives a yucky car, and lives across the street from us and one house down.  He drives up and parks there and says "Hi" when he gets out.  I am a friendly person, and I have a problem asking him not to park there since it is a public street.  BUT....we take great pride in the appearance of our home as well, and we get to look out of our kitchen window into his car.  We have a choice of either talking to him or putting up with it.  We don't own the street and can't do anything about him parking there other than asking him not to.  Moving someone else's car is definitely not something I would ever do, you have to believe that is illegal.  Creative, but I can't imagine it is legal.  lol
    • 138 posts
    September 25, 2007 9:09:28 AM PDT
    I had a similar problem with new neighbors... the work vehicle would be parked in front of my house, and as has been stated, we don't own the street, but I finally asked nicely if they would please not park right in front of my house (and they would park right in the middle - not even forward or back so another car could park there).  They stopped parking in front of my house. 

When I have guests over, I have them park in my driveway (3 car) or right in front of my house and it never seems to be a problem...

Do you know who the landlord is or do you have their number to call and have them mention it to the renters?  I was just mentioning to a friend the other day that there should be some online service that all rental properties must be listed on and the contact information for the landlord or rental service, so that we may contact them directly... someday...
    • 847 posts
    September 25, 2007 9:49:33 AM PDT
    I understand what people are saying and feel for them.  I live in a court and luckily we have a some what long drive way so we could fit about five cars in on the drive way, maybe six or seven if they are compact cars.  We park all three cars in the garage but when we have parties we have most people park in the drive way and the rest park on the street, this is rare, maybe once a month at most.  Luckily all the neighbors in the court park in their garage, driveway, or infront of their house.  If there is a friend or family members car parked in front of my house or someone elses it usually only for a day and may happen 2 or 3 times a month at most. 

If you have talked to your neighbors and they don't seem to be cooperative, you can always adjust your sprinklers so it gives their cars a free car wash.  After 3-4 times and the hard water drying on the car it will make it difficult to see through the windows and they will have nice new partern on their vehicle.  Just a suggestion, that you shouldn't probably do. 
    • 24 posts
    September 25, 2007 10:49:10 AM PDT

Same problem here BUT....The neighbors about 6/7 houses down have two wheelchair vans as a business.  They normally park those with their personal cars in front of their house and their direct neighbors but they don't have room so they park in front of our house.  We make sure to keep our garage in a state where it can be used as a garage and like how our house looks without a huge van parked in front of it.

It would be nice (not legally necessary of course) if they at least introduced themselves and said I hope you don't mind but.....  Just neighborly.   

• 44 posts
    September 25, 2007 1:23:16 PM PDT
    I'm glad to see people can feel my pain, to bad you all weren't my neighbors. The part that's so frustrating is that I keep my garage clean so I don't have to park outside at all. If people just used their driveways that would make huge difference. I love the sprinkler idea, I thought of it before but didn't act on it. It's sad that this might come down to gorilla warfare, I don't want to break the law but I can only be polite so long.
    • 200 posts
    September 25, 2007 1:35:07 PM PDT
    It's very frustrating.  I live on the corner of a court.  Our neighbors next door are renters and are very nice people, but when grandma comes you better be ready to have your driveway blocked.  She parks her car between both our houses, but does not pull up far enough so she ends up blocking our driveway.  A couple of days ago we were out doing yard work, mother & daughter pulled up and her daughter asked if they were blocking our drive way.  We told them they do all the time and her mother said,"I know I do".  The daughter was very apologetic and her mom did not say anything.  Ever since then our driveway has not been blocked.    

The neighbor across the street and over 1 house has a relative that comes to visit frequently.  Her honda is 5 different colors.  Whenever she comes she parks right on the corner so when I open my front door all you see is a very colorful car.  
    • 279 posts
    September 25, 2007 1:36:47 PM PDT
    Go with the sprinkler idea...we've had good luck with it in the past.
    September 26, 2007 3:58:16 PM PDT

I live at the end of a farily short court and here is my story.  The house east of me originally had a two car garage and a three car driveway, plus space in front of their house.  They utilized their own parking and hardly every parked any cars in front of my house.

They sold their house to a contractor who proceeded to gut the house and add a two car garage so that side driveway disappeared.  They built a circular driveway in front of their house along with a single car gravel driveway along side the house.  They never used that circular driveway to park and I can't help but wonder if it was because they found out too late they used the wrong materials and were afraid the weight of their vehicles would cause cracks.  So they always parked their SUV's in front of all the other houses near them. Sometimes I would park our extra car in front of my house.  One morning the witch living there called the cops and said my car was blocking their driveway.  It wasn't.  They had angled the circular driveway in such a way that if they backed straight out my car would be in the way even though it was in front of my house.  So whose fault was that?  They should have consulted with an engineer before putting in that driveway.

Then.....he ran his construction business from his house.  Every day his three or so employees would park their pickup trucks all around our end of the court.  Big trucks would come in to pick up and drop off construction materials. That put a few cracks on the sidewalk in front of my house.  I always kept my extra car in front of my house after that.  These trucks just cluttered up the court.  On top of that they kept a yard ornament in the back yard that barked all the time.

One of my other neighbors and I were about ready to put our homes up for sale because we were so fed up with all of this.  Our court was a mess every day. But as it turned out they sold their house and moved out of state.  I was so glad to have my new neighbors there.  Unfortunately they divorced and the house will probably go into foreclosure.  But I will gladly water the small lawn if needed.  Better that than have to live with what I did two years ago.

• 272 posts
    September 26, 2007 5:31:11 PM PDT
    In our neighborhood, it seems the rule is "he who has the least amount of parking space has the most cars". 

That would be the neighbor on cul de sac or circle with half a space in front of their home and four junk cars in their driveway leaving no room for their 4 teenagers who each have a vehicle to park and who each have ten friends who have vehicles. 
    No one parks in front of our house.  We have a big tree full of birds. 
    • 4 posts
    September 27, 2007 12:13:51 PM PDT
    This is Nikki Medoro, a reporter with KFBK Radio.  This is a complaint I hear about often and it has obviously drawn a lot of responses from the EG community.  I do a series on KFBK called Road Angel and this seems perfect for it.  If any of you would like to voice your concerns to me, please email me at roadangel@kfbk.com and include your contact information along with your story.  I also plan to get a hold of city officials about what it takes to get a permit system working in a neighborhood.  Hope you hear from you!
    • 274 posts
    September 27, 2007 10:20:00 PM PDT
    I live in the Laguna High school area.  Over the last 3 or 4 weeks we have a neighbor who has brought home an old ugly motor home (late 70's early 80's)and has tried moving it around the neighborhood every 72 hrs to avoid a ticket.  It has been ticketed and towed 2xs.  (called my husband at work I was so happy to see it go).   Unfortunately it's back and they're playing the move it 50ft every 72hrs.   This get's under my skin so bad I want to knock on their door and ask why they don't feel any obligation to take care of this problem.  I own a 5th wheel and we pay monthly to have it in storage.  We bring it home to load or unload and take it back.  It's big, hard to see around and drive around.  I'm very aware  of this and don't want my neighbors to have to deal with it.  I've often thought about a 72hr permit system.  This way neighbors know when you brought it home and when it HAS to be gone.  The police won't have to come give it a ticket because they could look in the computer and know when the permit was purchased and it's time frame. 
    Purchasing the permit could be tricky though.  If it had to be purchased during business hours, it might be difficult to get compliance.  Maybe some type of ticket machine in the parking lot of the EGPD, or maybe customer service dept's at the big grocery chains.  Just a thought!! 
    • 44 posts
    September 27, 2007 11:45:24 PM PDT
    It's great to see all the impute you have all provided. I thought I was in the minority of people who this bothered so much. Please keep the suggestions and advice coming, we need to all bring this to the table at next weeks meeting. Let's tackle this issue and attempt to find a solution, then after we succeed with this battle we could move on to the next big issue. If any of you are going to attend next weeks meeting and wish to bring this issue as a group please send me a private message and we can coordinate a strong presence.

Thank you all for contributing.
    • 1237 posts
    September 28, 2007 4:55:12 AM PDT
    I personally think that turning on the sprinklers to intentionally put hard water stains on someone is car is mean. I think it would be best to be neighborly and use our voices.  Also, suggesting this may backfire if someday you visit a friend and have to park in front someones house.

Here is a suggestion, how about street cleaning signs, like they have in downtown Sacramento, where vehicles have to move there cars once or twice a week during a time frame for street cleaning. Not only would this make our streets clean, but it will prevent people from simply driving there cars around the block to avoid the 72hr. time frame. They will be forced to move their car for a few hours and this may have them consider alternative methods of parking their unwanted vehicles.
    September 28, 2007 11:15:32 PM PDT

I have made this statement in the recent past. (car alarm nuisances)

We have parked on the street in front of our house for the past 4 years. My (car alarm nuisances) post,
    "He feels he needs to park on the street, in our parking spot, cause it technically is on his property line. However, cause he parking there, the alarm goes off all the time." 
    It was mentioned calling the Nuisance Dept.  What I can say is, I called the Sheriff's dept. Non emergency 874 5115, ( I am in the county). They told me to call everytime,  and share the # with the neighbors, in the area, to call for this disturbance. Maybe you could call either Sheriff or Elk Grove police to discuss your issue.

I have noticed the alarm dosent go off, any where near the amount, after my call.

Good Luck Every One  

October 1, 2007 9:39:49 PM PDT
    This type of minor but irritating issue is exactly why we sought out a house in a development with an active HOA and strict CC&R's.

Sure, at times the neighborhood has somewhat of a "stepford" feel to it, but we no longer have neighbors that park their 4 cars on their lawn because their driveway and side yard are filled with boats, travel trailers, toy haulers, old Ford Pintos, etc.

Our neighborhood still looks very good going on 8 years old because of the CC&R's. CC&R's are definately not for everyone, but for those of us who are willing to give up a few freedoms (like being able to paint our house orange, or putting aluminum foil in the windows, or leaving my comfy old sofa on the front porch for visitin'), we have few irritations or surprises to deal with in regards to neighbors behaving badly.

BTW, I love the sprinkler idea. The water in EG is so hard and full of minerals that the one time I tried to hand wash my car, it was covered with water spots even though I never let the water dry on the car. But that's ok, I found out that the CC&R's prohibit washing cars in driveways/streets if there is any runoff (the storm drains empty into the lake).    =)

• 272 posts
    October 2, 2007 5:38:36 PM PDT
    I don't think the birds realize it is mean to drop stuff out of the tree onto cars parked below.  But it seems to work.  I am telling you, no one parks under that tree more than once. 
    October 3, 2007 8:01:22 AM PDT
    LakesideBull,  I used to live in Gold River, now THAT is Stepford.  Really.  No cars on the street, at all.  You can't even have your garage door open when not in there.   But, people love living there.  And it is beautiful. The streets are often repaved and washed.  What stands out there is the gorgeous landscaping and trails and such.  I'd rather see that anyway than cars and oil spots on the streets.

Now Lakeside, it just looks like a neighborhood that is well taken care of.  I see nothing Stepford about it at all.   I know what you were saying, but after living in Gold River,  I don't even notice Lakeside's cc&r's.
    October 3, 2007 2:42:50 PM PDT
    Gretchen, I understand and agree! My agency's former Board President had a beautiful house in Gold River and used to host our holiday party. I remember her story about her house being broken into two summers ago. She made a formal request to the landscape committee to allow her to hire a tree service to trim the lower branches on her California Redwoods, so that her front door and windows would be visible from the street, possibly detering future burglaries; her request was denied.

In the end, the tree's lower branches were trimmed. How? A few evenings a week, she and her partner waited until after dark and trimmed a few small branches from the tree a little at a time, and rubbed shoe polish where they had trimmed the branches to hide the raw cuts. They did this over a period of a few months so that it was gradual and wouldn't be noticible. She and her partner were too worried to put the evidence in their trash can, for fear that a neighbor or the HOA would snoop or see the branches being dumped into the garbage truck, so they drove the trimmings to a friend's house (who lived outside of Gold River) and put them in her green waste cans.

October 3, 2007 9:42:44 PM PDT
      I know a few  people in Gold River, and I would like  to clear up a few things.   First of all not all villages have rules about not parking in the street.  GR is made up of many villages, with different boards.  You get the CC&R in advance of buying so you do know the rules before you move in.  I have one friend in a village with county roads, and you can and people do park on the street. I also have a few friends in  villages with private streets, that is where the rules say no parking in the streets over night.  Now my friend has a three car garage, as do many so this is not a problem.   As for not being able to trim your landscaping ,my friend had a issue similar, and I guess he was in a different village, because he had no problem with his request.  Many people make very general comments GR, without understanding that rules are different from village to village  I do find it funny how many people, all over,  park in the street because they have garages full of STUFF.    As much as people don't like the whole "Stepford " things, in many ways it really protects your neighborhood. 
    October 3, 2007 10:38:36 PM PDT
    123ABC, I wasn't saying I didn't like Gold River, I loved it there.  When I bought there in the early 90's, there was one set of cc&r's, maybe that has changed.  I do realize that each village has its own board, but I thought they were pretty uniform throughout.  Maybe that has changed.  I don't have any problems with cc&r's, especially after living in Elk Grove and seeing the new neighborhoods with $600,000 homes that look already run down.

I guess my point was that Lakeside's rules are very easy and tame.  I think we could learn a lot from Gold River.   Homes are selling there and at top prices.   It is to many people an extremely desirable place to live.  I think Elk Grove is more family oriented, that's why we prefer it here.  But, I think Elk Grove could use more homeowner's associations to keep nice neighborhoods from becoming run down.
    October 4, 2007 9:13:53 AM PDT
    GretchenK, points well taken, I think that HOA are great when they are balanced like it sounds like Lakeside is.    I think we are on the same page when I say a little goes a long way , but a few rules are helpful.  littlejerry, I feel for your problem.... I have been were you are in the past, I know how frustrating that can be...I hope you find a solution to your problem soon.  
    • 44 posts
    October 4, 2007 9:39:26 AM PDT
    123ABC, Thanks, I'm hoping I could do something about it. I'm going to be contacting the Public Works Department next week and see what options they have. I'm tired of being disrespected by my bonehead neighbors.
    • 410 posts
    October 7, 2007 6:29:04 PM PDT

I live in Laguna West and we do have a HOA and CC&Rs and I have two sets of neighbors that constantly park in front of my house.  There is also someone who always parks in front of the mailbox.  I am convinced it is to keep us from pulling up after work to grab the mail while still in our cars.  I park in my garage. 

Anyhow, my point is the HOA and CC&Rs don't help.  As long as they are moving the car each day (within a 24 hour period) not much we can do other than ask nicely.