Forums » Local Government & Politics

Mayor Rick Soares, Mayor Pro Tempore? Let's Vote

This topic has been closed.
    December 14, 2005 10:43:24 AM PST
    Let's have a little holiday fun today.

Tonight, in my opinion, it's given that Rick Soares will be selected by his council peers to be the new mayor of Elk Grove.

But the 64,000 question: Who's going to be the new Mayor Pro Tempore? And no, it cannot be Santa Claus (too bad huh?).
    December 15, 2005 7:18:09 AM PST
    Rick Soares is our new mayor. Sophia is Mayor Pro Tempore with only three votes. Cooper and Leary were very loud NOs after she was nominated by Soares.
    • 2773 posts
    December 15, 2005 10:08:27 AM PST
    Mickey Mouse would have been a better choice
    • 51 posts
    December 16, 2005 1:01:15 AM PST
    Mickey is busy running a theme park - our council is running a circus. Mickey got the better gig...
    December 16, 2005 6:59:53 AM PST
    I guess they had 4 choices for the job, so no matter who was chosen would anybody be happy? I don't think Mickey was a choice.
    Argus, would you have rather they chose Cooper or Leary instead?
    • 51 posts
    December 16, 2005 7:32:39 AM PST
    touchy...

I would rather Sherman. The Lesser of five Evils.
    December 16, 2005 8:00:18 AM PST
    Congratulations Sophia. You should have been Mayor.
    • 51 posts
    December 16, 2005 8:21:45 AM PST
    ???
    • 480 posts
    December 16, 2005 10:26:33 PM PST
    Lot's of complaining here. If you don't like the choices, get out and vote them out of office.
    • 959 posts
    December 17, 2005 9:19:41 AM PST
    Well we'll get the opportunity to vote for two new council members soon!

I know there are many of you on the Local/Gov't Politics board that feel as I do: That we need a change. We weren't able to recall Cooper and Leary, but I think Jason was successful in raising awareness. I think we need to continue what he started. Talk to your friends, neighbors, grocery store clerks, everyone. Let them know what we've seen happening here in Elk Grove. Encourage them to become more informed and more involved.

Elk Grove - It's time to vote for CHANGE!

December 17, 2005 4:18:36 PM PST
    I do not like Rick, Sophia, Jim, Mike, or Dan. I'd prefer any 5 randomly selected Disney (or WB) characters to those five.
    December 17, 2005 7:01:55 PM PST
    Rich is right. Before we kmow it Election 2006 will be here and the campaigning will be under way soon. Gary Davis has already announced he is running for Briggs' seat. No one else has come forward, just speculation at this point, but it is still really early. Could we be so lucky that Briggs will decide he is too busy being a consultant for Frontier Communications and not seek reelection? As for Soares' seat, I am sure there will be some announcement after the first of year. But one thing is for sure, we have to learn from our mistakes. If we don't, we will have more of the same until 2008. The mere thought is BA HUMBUG!
    • 983 posts
    December 17, 2005 7:42:10 PM PST
    Connie:

Lost you number. Call me at 247-8952. Email addy is rwest92924@aol.com

Thanks,

Rick West
    • 58 posts
    December 18, 2005 9:07:43 AM PST
    MAYOR Rick Soares....
    Definitely a great decision for Elk Grove...
    One of life's Good Guys...
    • 480 posts
    December 18, 2005 9:29:14 AM PST
    I'm thinking about throwing my hat into the ring for District 4. I will know more after the 1st of the year.
    • 959 posts
    December 18, 2005 12:20:45 PM PST
    Gary Davis definitely has my vote. He's committed to seeing the City of Elk Grove listen to and work for the people. He also wants to see the City cooperate with other local government agencies instead of compete with them. I’ve worked very closely with him over the past year and I can assure you that he is unequalled in his integrity and commitment to public service.

Not only do I think Gary is the right man for the job, I also think he has the best chance of unseating the Dan Briggs. Gary’s already confirmed some impressive endorsements and raised quite a bit of cash for the campaign. I think his goal is $50,000 by December 31st.

The sad reality is that it will take a lot of money to overcome voter apathy and win this campaign. Let me know if you care to contribute to his campaign fund and I'll send you the info.

ELK GROVE VOTE FOR A CHANGE!

Rich
    • 480 posts
    December 18, 2005 1:20:39 PM PST
    Hello Gary. Since I have not been verified, I cannot respond to your private massage. To answer your question, I am thinking about running but will only run if this district does not have a candidate who can legitimately challenge Briggs. Since I just moved into district 4 (having spent 5 years in
    • 480 posts
    December 18, 2005 1:23:21 PM PST
    east Elk Grove) I am not aware of your work or your committment to take on Briggs. I have seen positive comments about you in the posts. They suggest that you may be the one who can actually succeed. As I said in my previous post, I am considering a run and will not make a decision until after the first of the year. If I do not run, I will definitely work as hard as possible for the right candidate.
    • 983 posts
    December 18, 2005 2:18:23 PM PST
    wdrkb....tell us how you are.

Rick West
    • 983 posts
    December 18, 2005 2:20:09 PM PST
    As many of you know, I ran against Briggs and he ran a "HIT: piece against myself and Pat Perez, the Thursday before the election. He is dirty.

I have committments of over $100,000 if I choose to run again.

I am reviewing all my options.

Rick West
    • 959 posts
    December 18, 2005 2:24:38 PM PST
    Wdrkb,

I really appreciate your candor and your rational outlook on the race. As has been stated before on this board, we really need to learn from the mistakes of the last election and select one person to compete for each of the two seats. Last election the votes were split among too many candidates. Had we selected one candidate to rally behind we could have easily won.

My great hope is that over the next year two things will occur:

1.     We can somehow overcome voter apathy and get voters to turnout in real numbers. I think we can influence this somewhat by talking to everyone we know and stirring up interest.
    2.     We can continue to have honest, thought provoking discussions on this board and based upon that discussion choose a single candidate for each district to rally behind.

I realize in advance that it would be in the incumbents’ best interest to disrupt this process, and I think we should be prepared for people attempting to cause strife within the board. If the past is any indication it will be very obvious when this occurs.

• 118 posts
    December 18, 2005 4:39:38 PM PST
    wdrkb,

Thanks so much for your response. More importantly, I appreciate your stated commitment to wanting to make positive changes in our city. As you know, I am running for the City Council District 4. Though, everyone in the city votes for every council district.

I have already begun to reach out to community members and voters citywide. My hope is that you and I have the opportunity to sit down. And, I hope to talk to each and every eligible voter in Elk Grove. I believe that an empowered electorate will not only increase voter participation in our elections, but will be what it takes for us to turn this city around.

I believe that if we are to maintain and improve our long-term quality of life, we have got to start planning ahead. And, we have to embrace Elk Grove residents being a driver of the process.

Undoubtedly there will be more discussion on EGOL and I welcome that. In addition, I ask that anyone reading these posts please consider meeting me for a cup of coffee or inviting me to talk with your organization(s).

We will get this city on track!

-Gary Davis
    705-9538
    davis2000@frontiernet.net
    December 19, 2005 8:55:37 AM PST
    Gary,

You know you have my support as well as many others.
    December 19, 2005 1:08:05 PM PST
    Please only one against the incumbents if you want to see change in this City.

The average voters are "sheeple". They will vote for the incumbent if there is more than one challenger.
    December 19, 2005 2:04:00 PM PST
    The “Gang of Five” has been in office almost six years and the fact is now that they’re in office, it will not be easy to get rid of these incumbents, but it can be done. They have the money, but the money is not coming from us. One look at the council’s 460 campaign statements will tell you that most of their money does not come from fellow citizens in Elk Grove, but all the developers that come before this council and get the red carpet rolled out for them. In fact, none of them got even a thousand collectively from the average citizen of Elk Grove.

But those of us who want change need to be proactive and use every opportunity we have to get rid of the incumbents. Maybe it will require new thinking: We must give up the appearance of not giving the incumbents an advantage by bending over backwards to get of rid of them simply for the sake of appearance.

We need to send a message that new leaders must be elected because this council is not taking Elk Grove in the right direction and we need to be sensible in interpreting that message. One could be: Has this government been accountable to the people? The answer is "NO" and if we can get this message out very clearly, and we give the voters a clear choice for change, the choice and more importantly, the vote, will be painless.

December 19, 2005 2:58:10 PM PST
    Good thing that the real estate market is tanking. The cycle in this area is what goes up comes down, easy come easy go. (look at yesterday's Bee).

Interest rates are going up and the lenders are being forced to comply with "normal" lending requirements. Up to this point anyone even with bad credit could get a loan. That will not be the case in 2006 and on.

That will slow down development of the new homes for at least six to seven years.

Houses over $500,000 (which will be typical for Madeira or Laguna Ridge or whatever they are calling it) are going to sit on the market and not move.

Long and the short of it:

Even if the Gang of Five rubber stamps developments, it really won't matter because the demand won't be there and you'll have a bunch of subdivisions with streets and no houses until 2013 or so.
    • 959 posts
    December 19, 2005 3:10:41 PM PST
    Rose Lily,

I love your thought process. You must be a genius, because I always seem to agree with your posts. :)

Perhaps a way to implement your idea is to assemble a list of all the things we don't like about the current city council. I'll start a new thread imediately!

Rich
    December 19, 2005 3:13:23 PM PST
    I will start this post off by saying that I do not have any agenda regarding the campaign. I know none of the incumbants personally, nor any of the challengers (so far). All I care about is that the city run efficiently and provide the best services for our tax money.

I think you have hit one of a couple of major points in defeating an incumbant. Selecting a single candidate to challenge. If you control the majority of the voters, this is a great idea. I guess you all are assuming that there are only two sides to the election, and anyone not agreeing with you must be with the incumbants. Or am I wrong?

Which brings up the second point... Do you have a positive agenda that will outweigh the incumbants' agendas? Regardless of what you think of the incumbants, they can point to a successful city that is growing and prospering under their watch. Just because you dislike the direction of growth and the use of the prosperity doesn't mean that voters will agree with you. Do you have a vision that can be easily delivered by your ads AND your candidates? Something that will be more powerful than the current group can trot out? Run a negative campaign, and you will loose. Local voters know the candidates, sometimes personally, so it is hard to paint them as the devil, and have it stick. Even if they dislike the incumbants, they will vote for them if they think the negative ads are just "politics."

This is not to say that you can't bring out questionable ethical and moral issues. Those will be keys in the next election. But you have to do it with care, and while demonstrating how you will provide a better alternative.

Finally, voters are not sheep. Those that vote come with a desire to participate in the process. Treat them like sheep, and they will surely vote against you. Show them an agenda based in hope and a better future, and they will do anything you ask.

This town appears to dislike "big politics." My guess is that local control plays big here. I would also bet that they sense a lack of true leadership. Both moral and political. Tap those veins. Combine that with a vision, and you can win here.
    December 19, 2005 3:20:20 PM PST
    Richard, maybe a better thread would be:

What issues do the current incumbants present, and what ideas do we have that will make things better?

Start this off as a positive event. Develop an agenda based in hope for a better community. Give the voters a chance to see why they should vote for your candidates. It starts here.
    December 19, 2005 5:32:28 PM PST
    Oracle, I don't think being happy the real estate market is tanking all that wise. That affects everyone, and will affect the economy. If not for the market these past few years the economy would have been worse than stagnant. The new homes will still get built just at a cheaper price. All that land was purchased or optioned years ago at a cheap rate, and the only reason prices went up was because of demand. The developers can sell those homes for 25% cheaper and still make a lot of money.
    • 983 posts
    December 19, 2005 7:25:42 PM PST
    DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU READ IN THE BEE!

Rick West
    • 480 posts
    December 19, 2005 8:09:48 PM PST
    I agree with the "support the single candidate who has the best shot at uprooting the incombent" theory. As I stated earlier, I have no problem pitching in and helping a legitimate candidate.
    December 20, 2005 6:03:54 AM PST
    DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU READ IN THE BEE! Rick West I agree, but which article are you referring too? If it's about real estate, then there is a lot of truth to some of the stories. The market has slowed down substantially. New home sales are off, homes are taking a lot longer to sell and homes over $600,000 aren't moving. I think people are waiting to see what happens. It doesn't help to constantly get bombarded by news stories saying the sky is falling though. People are a little scared right now.
    December 20, 2005 6:40:57 AM PST
    Good post above Bunny. I started a new thread about what we want to hear from the council candidates.
    December 20, 2005 12:35:04 PM PST
    Am I missing something>

Isn't it better if new home prices go down?

Right now there are so many people that can't afford to buy or move up. Those that do buy often get into dangerous interest only / negative amortization loans. They might be able to use regular and safer loans if the prices drop.

Market forces that slow down development should allow the building of streets etc to catch up.

As far as the developers, it sounds like they have enough room in their equation to drop prices if necessary.
    December 20, 2005 3:52:28 PM PST
    First, developers won't drop prices on their new homes. They have a bunch of homeowners that would go berzerk if they started dropping prices on homes that they just purchased. The lawsuits would fly.

The way developers deal with this is to offer considerable incentives to bring buyers in. They also start cooperating with real estate agents that have access to buyers.

Finally, prices will not drop to the point where creative financing is no longer necessary for lower end buyers. They never have, and it is not likely that will change now as interest rates are still within a point or so of the ALL-TIME low. There just is not enough pressure to drive prices down more than a bit.

Remember how this works. You bought a home 10 years ago for $100,000.00. You refinanced 5 years ago to pay off some bills. You now owe $125,000.00 on your home. Last summer you could have sold for $450,000.00. Right now you could sell for $425,000.00. You haven't lost a penny. Your home's value hasn't dropped a penny. You will make $300,000.00 on the sale of your home. The only time you lose money is when you buy at one price and sell for a lower price. That will not happen for the VAST majority of homeowners.
    December 20, 2005 3:58:38 PM PST
    And an "Oh, yeah." Developments are planned and funded years in advance of actual building. Builders rarely based their development decisions on what is happening today, or even next month. They base their decisions on the long term prospects for an area like Elk Grove.

While time on market may jump significantly, it doesn't tend to hav enough impact to spur radical change in development strategies. Madiera will get built out, and so will most of the other projects that have been planned for the next 5 years. History is on the developers' sides when it comes to the real estate market. That is why our wealthiest citizens are all developers...
    • 371 posts
    December 20, 2005 8:28:42 PM PST
    Rosie Lily, you and I both know that the Mayor and Pro Tem. was a deal brokered almost a year ago to the day. This was a staged vote and that is why you saw Learys' and Coopers' negative reaction. OBTW, Lunch Soon!!
    With Every Good Wish to you and your family.
    Regards, SmoothCab