Forums » Elk Grove Community Discussion

Elk Grove Annual Bulk Waste/Trash Removal

• 174 posts
    August 15, 2013 5:02:36 PM PDT

This is such a valuable opportunity for Elk Grove Residents to be able to once per year pick up/clean up yards and household furniture and be able to leave them the items on the street without having to give away, or haul away.    I also understand that there are people who are interested in items that may be left.  I certainly don't mind them looking through what I have left neatly on the street in front of my home, as long as you don't toss everything around and make the stack larger than is allowed for pick up.  By this I mean, I came home from work yesterday and someone had dumped their own trash including phones, clothing, broken dishes, dirty clothes, etc.  THIS IS RUDE!  Sometimes I wonder about people. 

• 46 posts
    August 15, 2013 7:12:11 PM PDT
    I agree, that is very rude. I wouldn't mind if someone asked, but just to leave your stuff and not even neatly, is uncalled for. I had something similar happen with my weekly garbage. In the morning I went to put a bag of garbage in my containers that I put out the night before and discovered that it was now full of someone else's garbage, all of which was not bagged. I was irate at the rudeness.
    • 1926 posts
    August 16, 2013 6:12:30 AM PDT
    It matters very little. They come with a tractor and pick it all up and take it away anyhow.
    • 174 posts
    August 16, 2013 12:02:44 PM PDT
    bballtom - Your comment "It matters very little." If you actually read the guidelines set by the City you would see it does matter and can also cost the resident money. If you read the guidelines: "If a resident places an excessive amount of material (more than 5 cubic yards) at their curb, Republic Services (formally known as Allied Waste) crews will collect the first 5 cubic yards and leave a Non-Collection Notice (tag) on the remaining material. Residents will be told they need to immediately remove the extra material at the curbside following their Neighborhood Cleanup Day. Republic Services will only collect 5 cubic yards of material without prior arrangement having been made. If the material remains at the curb for more than 24 hours after the Neighborhood Cleanup Collection day, Republic Services will return to the location to collect the material and the City will bill the homeowner for the charges associated with picking up the remaining material.

Oversized Pile

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Regarding the Cost Charged for Oversized Piles

Charges for excess materials are as follows:

Calls in Advance

$19.42 will be charged for each additional 5 cubic yards beyond the first free 5 cubic yards that are collected, assuming the resident called in advance and the collection of all the material is done on the same day as the normal Neighborhood Cleanup.

Doesn't Call In Advance

If a resident exceeds 5 cubic yards, but has not called in advance, anything in excess of the allowed will be left in front of the residence and is then considered a Bulky Waste Pick-up. The charge for a bulky pick-up is $32.28 for the first 5 cubic yards and $19.42 for each additional 5 cubic yards. Bulky Waste Pick-ups are on Friday's only.

Before you chose to make your own rules and guidelines especially for this privilege you need to research what you are talking about. Just sayin'
    • 1926 posts
    August 16, 2013 4:41:55 PM PDT
    Well I've only lived here 7 years but I have NEVER seen the garbage company leave anything behind and some piles are far larger than what is supposed to be allowed. Furthermore the private parties that rummage through the piles don't want their hustle prohibited so I doubt that they would intentionally piss people off by rudely making a mess. It was probably a neighbor from another area that already had their pick up day and not the scavengers that only take things away which actually does save the city money.
    • 174 posts
    August 16, 2013 5:01:53 PM PDT
    Take a deep breath bballtom. I don't have enough time on my hands (as some do) to begin an embattled free for all to blow something out of proportion. I prefer to go by the rules and regulations set out by the City of Elk Grove - no matter what has or has not happened in the past. I take it you are one of the scavengers. I don't have a problem with that. My problem is people dumping their junk at my residence instead of waiting for their own week. You can rant and rave now since you have the time. I'm done. Jesus Loves You!